May 14th, 2012

Engineering Update July 2011

The pattern for the driving axle spring hangar brackets  has now been completed by South Lincs Patterns based at Spalding Common. The four brackets will be cast from this pattern in two to three weeks.

The pattern was manufactured using a copy of the original Great Eastern Railway Co drawing, nr 7939a-E, dated 22nd June 1909. Note how G.E.R has been altered to L.N.E.R and the additional note for part marking.

The original drawing is part of the Dupen Collection of the Great Eastern Railway Society comprising of some 9500 official GER drawings of locomotive, carriage, wagon and road vehicle details, from the mid-1800s to 1963. These drawings form the residue from the Stratford Works Drawing Office, after selection had been made for the National Collection, now at the NRM. They were rescued immediately prior to their incineration by the late Peter Dupen.